History of TCS
Turlock Christian first opened its doors in September, 1969 to twelve K-2 Students. Initially we were a ministry of the Evangelical Free Church, and then Monte Vista Chapel joined the Evangelical Free Church by hosting the junior high and high school beginning in 1974 with 13 junior high school students. In 1979, Turlock Christian became an independent Christian school with nonprofit status, operated by a board of parents and friends from the community. Though separately incorporated, we continue to work closely with local evangelical churches.
Our high school began in 1976 with 20 students We had 261 students in K-9 that year, and in 1980, graduated our first senior class of 21 students. By 1989, we recognized the growing need in our community for a preschool and opened at the Free Methodist Church. By year's end, we had 36 children. In 1997, we extended our preschool to provide infant/toddler care. In 2001, we added a second preschool at Calvary Baptist Church.
Currently, we serve 716 students, Preschool-12th grade, from as far away as Livingston, Dos Palos, Chowchilla, Patterson, and Modesto. Our Schools and Preschool have been awarded Best Christian School & Best Preschool of 209 in 2015 2016, and 2017!
Since 1978, our junior high/high school has been accreditied. In 2015, TCS was awarded six-year accreditation for our entire school system, infant through High School. We are accredited Infant through High School with Western Association of Schools & Colleges and Association of Christian Schools International.
New Campuses, Facility Expansions, and Educational Advancements
- 2017-2018 Early Kindergarten and three elementary classes have been added to the new elementary school. A new Mac Computer lab will be added in the fall at the JH/HS. At the junior high level, honor courses have been added. At the high school level, additional college dual credit courses have been added.
- 2016-2017 TCS opened a state of the art, high tech, elementary campus - our first independent owned campus property. K-12 grades went one to one with iPads for grades K-2, and with Chromebooks for grades 3-12. Future Farmers of America (FFA) established a complex for animals at a donated farm. Online and web-based curriculum was added for many courses.
- 2015-2016 Chrome labs and Google classroom were implemented. An expanding luncheon area with an over-shade was added for JH/HS students. Science and chemistry labs were completely remodeled and equipped with science, technology, and lab equipment. A new JH/HS office modern complex opened to accommodate growth in the school. New landscaping also was added.
- 2014-2015 Computer labs at the JH/HS were upgraded and refurbished. The weight room at the JH/HS campus also received upgrades.
- 2013-2014 Elementary classrooms were remodeled, and all preschool classrooms were remodeled. At the JH/HS campus the restrooms were upgraded, the library and media center were remodeled and expanded, and the computer lab was updated.
- 2012-2013 The FFA was established at TCS, and courses began being offered. A new Mac lab is established at the elementary campus.
Throughout our 49 year history, Turlock Christian has supported itself through tuition, fees, and gifts.